Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Unnamed Publishers Trying to Exploit Kickstarter

I'm taking a break of my coverage leading into Cthulhu 7.  Per Feargus Uquhart, CEO of Obsidian Studios, a publisher decided to offer boxed copies of Project Eternity in exchange for the IP, the profit, and the glory.

"We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter. I said to them 'So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits' They said, 'Yes'."

Kickstarter has essentially allowed titles to completely bypass traditional publishers, leaving them reeling and scrambling to adapt to a new business model.  It's not particularly surprising that one would attempt to co-opt the business model.  Obsidian also has a track record that's rather stellar for creating memorable IPs, given that they're the ones behind Fallout, Arcanum, Icewind Dale, and a number of other titles.

I admit, I have unreasonable expectations of Obsidian.  Their titles are amazing, and I grew up immersed in worlds crafted by Black Isle staffers.  This is the third Kickstarter I've been frothing at the mouth to get my hands on (behind Wasteland 2 and Dead State), all because of the heritage that Black Isle brought to the table.  Let's hope they live up to my expectations.  Unnamed publisher: grow your own IP, or try not to screw a studio in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment