Friday, September 21, 2012

Kickstarter: Horror on the Orient Express

I've been ramping up for the 7th edition of Call of Cthulhu, as you've seen for the past week in my analysis articles.  I've got a handful more before I'm done, but I did want to highlight that Chaosium is creating a Cthulhu boxed campaign for 7th, out of their old module, Horror on the Orient Express.

Masks of Nyarlathotep was my first Cthulhu box set, and even then, I only bought it when it was available by PDF.  After perusing it, I realized that a searchable, indexed PDF is really the only way scenarios should come.  Where hours of page-flipping was a necessity in paper and boxed campaign copies just to determine all of the interactions between Prince Vitel and the werewolf in the Temple of Elemental Evil, Masks was a joyous experience, as I could quickly search.
The entry tier for Horror is $20 for just that -- a PDF copy of the entire boxed set.  It's a re-make of a classic Cthulhu campaign, and it appears beautiful, at that.  The $20 is on par with what Chaosium expects for PDFs of its other work, as well.  I've personally not perused the module, but I've heard wonderful things.  I highly recommend it for aspiring Keepers.
That being said, I won't be purchasing.  I've got both a Cthulhu campaign and a Delta Green campaign I've been working on, have been reading through Masks of Nyarlathotep to see if it's something I'd enjoy running, and have an ever-burning torch for a fantasy setting I've been working on but haven't ever gotten around to fleshing it out.  One of the other people willing to run games in my group also has a policy of not running anything anyone else has seen, so it also might be something he's considering.  Finally, it'll likely be this same price (plus or minus a buck or three) after its release should I change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment