Monday, August 27, 2012

Kickstarter Feature: Planetary Annihilation

The RTS genre was one I was fascinated with for a handful of months, moving back and forth between Warcraft II and Red Alert.  Outside of those few months, though, the RTS genre was not one I particularly appreciated.  I never enjoyed the base building, and felt too much of the gameplay was wrapped up with it.  I went ape over the real time tactical gameplay of Myth and Total War, and to me, there was only one traditional RTS that could keep up -- Total Annihiliation.  With absolutely huge maps, massive battles, and utter chaos and destruction that forgets about actions-per-second and base building, I enjoyed TA quite a bit more than I have anything cut from the traditional RTS mold.

I about wet myself when I found out Uber Entertainment was making a spiritual sequel.

Planetary Annihilation promises to return the utter destruction of TA to my fingertips, now with more explosions (including asteroids). A friend of mine has been trying to drag me back into the RTS scene kicking and screaming, and this is his leverage to do it -- that is, until I convince him to try playing a grand strategy title with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment